Millington strikes twice in Bay victory


Tuesday 29th August

Whitley scored twice in the first eight minutes as they recorded a comfortable victory at Tow Law and moved up to third place in the Northern League First Division table.

Nick Gray handed debuts to two new signings, goalkeeper Harrison Bond, brought in on loan from Gateshead for the rest of the season, and midfielder Marc Ellison who spent part of the 2014/15 campaign at Hillheads.

On a fine evening in north west Durham it took just over 90 seconds for Whitley to get their first goal, Josh Gilchrist receiving the ball from Noah Millington just inside the 18 yard box before slotting wide of keeper Kyle Seymour.

Keeping up the pressure, Whitley forced a corner three minutes later but Seymour collected the ball safely. The home defence looked at sixes and sevens and when they failed to cut out a ball on the right Millington raced clear and from 15 yards out fired the ball into the net to put Whitley two goals ahead with just eight minutes on the clock.

It might have been 3-0 just two minutes later but Cameron Brewis saw his lobbed shot pushed just wide of the post. Elliott Day’s shot from high on the left was just too high and cleared the bar as Whitley continued to dominate the proceedings.

Shortly before the interval Matty Weirs was played through by Ellison but his attempt was off target. Bond had been a virtual spectator for much of the half but with a minute remaining he was brought into the game, making a comfortable save from a rare Tow Law attempt on goal.

After the break, the home side looked more lively and gave Whitley less time on the ball. Chances were at a premium and into the final half hour, both sides made several substitutions.

The game eventually came to life again in the final ten minutes when Whitley created a series of chances. Firstly Millington clipped the ball just over the bar but then with four minutes left he burst through to add a third goal and end lingering hopes that the Lawyers may have held of getting something from the game.

From this point, it was all Whitley as the hosts tired. Millington whose pace had been a constant threat troubled the Tow Law rearguard on three further occasions. Only a last ditch block inside the six yard box denied him in the 88th minute them seconds later it looked like he would complete his hat trick but his attempt struck the base of the post. Finally deep into added time, he was thwarted by a good save from Seymour.

WHITLEY BAY: Bond, Neary, Day(Wilkinson 60mins), Turnbull, Hall, Scorgie, Weirs, Ellison, Gilchrist(Richardson 82mins), Brewis(Cunningham 76mins), Millington

Substitute not used: Lister

Cautions: Turnbull, Scorgie, Ellison, Gilchrist

Referee: Harvey Websdale


Scroll to top

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy