Lowery header seals victory


Saturday 3rd February

Report by Harry Salkeld


After a brilliant performance and result v Heaton Stan, the Bay were back at Hillheads, looking to make it three wins in a row. Our opponents, Seaham Red Star, came into this game with one win in their last five games so it was a game we needed and were expecting to win. When we played Seaham away, earlier in the season, they made it difficult, and we only won by one goal. Only one change was made to the side that beat Heaton Stan, Lewis Suddick replaced Elliott Day.

The Bay started off as the better team, having most of the ball and trying to conjure an opportunity at goal. The first chance of the game fell to Lewis Suddick, whose fierce shot flew over the bar. Minutes later and Cameron Brewis unfortunately had to come off, due to an injury. He was replaced my James McGeorge. Not long later and Suddick had another shot, this time blocked, after a great run from Almond set him up.

No chances came for a while until the Bay won a free kick, in a promising position, in the 31st minute. Holmes’ effort went straight into the wall but the rebound from Suddick was blasted at the keeper who parried the ball away. Suddick was proving a huge threat and that was his third shot of the game, no other player had had a shot at this point!

The Bay had a corner which led to a Seaham counterattack, Annang-Colqhoun had a shot which was brilliantly denied by Pickering. In the 36th minute, Bailey Geliher had a curling effort which was blocked but very nearly crept in. Minutes later and Gilchrist’s low driven piledriver was palmed onto the post by Jennison. The last involvement of the half came when Lowery had a header that went just wide.

The Bay went into the break at 0-0. Despite not taking the lead, the Bay were definitely the better side, having had plenty of shots that were blocked or went wide. On the other hand, the visitors set up to capitalise on the counterattack, which we were going to have to deal with if we wanted to win.

The Bay came out for the second half and started with real intensity winning a corner in the 47th minute. It was whipped in to Lowery whose shot was denied by Jennison but thankfully the rebound fell to Geliher who calmly put the Bay 1-0 up. However, the lead lasted only a few minutes as the Bay conceded a penalty after Cartwright fouled John Bowes. Up stepped Captain, Joe Hailes, who ruthlessly placed it down the middle.

As stalemate manifested itself in the game, Michael Hall looked to his bench. Geliher came off for Finlay Neary. A chance was created one minute later as Holmes had an effort crash off the post. In the 69th minute, Harvey Neary was booked for a tackle that the referee deemed as a foul.

The Bay continued to apply pressure on the Seaham backline as Suddick was shoved down to the ground, but nothing was given as play continued. Minutes later and Gilchrist whipped in a delectable corner which was met by a grateful Lowery, who restored the Bay’s advantage! The delivery was excellent, and it nearly crept in without Lowery’s head touching it!

The Bay weren’t stopping there though, as Suddick had another shot, this time smashing off the post to the frustration of the majority in Hillheads Park. Michael Hall made another change in the 82nd minute as Holmes came off for Jos Storr. Minutes later and another one was made as Harvey Neary came off for Ben Richardson. This was Ben’s 100th appearance for the club! Ben has been a fantastic player for us over the years so from everyone at the club, Thank You Ben.

No chances came towards the end of the game, as the Bay continued to control proceedings. The full-time whistle was greeted with positive cheers and applause. It was a well-deserved win that clearly meant a lot to the players. Despite the Bay only winning by one, the game didn’t reflect that as we had many chances and shots throughout the game. Thanks for everyone’s support at the game.

This game was Michael Hall’s last game in charge as Liam McIvor will now takeover. 100% win record as a manager for our skipper, and three wins in three for the team, great performance, great result and HOWAY THE BAY!!!

WHITLEY BAY: Pickering, Suddick, Cartwright, Ellison, Almond, Lowery, Geliher(F.Neary 65mins), H.Neary(Richardson 85mins), Gilchrist, Brewis, Holmes(Storr 82mins)

Cautions: Ellison, H.Neary, Suddick
Referee: Tom Lishman

Man of the Match: Scott Lowery

Attendance: 305
Assistants: David Prince and Tyler Dutton


Scroll to top

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy