Clinical Rangers take the points


Saturday 13th April 

Report by Harry Salkeld

After a good performance but ultimately frustrating result last time out, the Bay were back at Hillheads Park to take on Boro Rangers. Our opponents have had a very good season, especially considering they were in the division below last season. They came into this game sat in 9th place but with numerous games in hand. They also came into this game with decent form, unbeaten in their last five but probably too many draws for their liking. One change was made to the Bay side that drew last week; Josh Gilchrist replaced Marc Ellison meaning Finlay Neary would occupy the defensive midfield role. 

The Bay started the game towards the car park meaning they were unfortunately playing against the wind for the first period. One thing that was extremely noticeable early on was the amount of space, especially in the middle of the park. Taking that into consideration, you couldn’t help but feel that there was going to be plenty of chances for both sides. Unfortunately, the first of those chances fell to Stuart Rose, who found himself one on one after a delectable through ball split the Bay defence. Rose, with all the time in the world, then converted his effort leaving Dan Lister no chance as it flew into the top right corner. 

The opening goal gave the visitors visible confidence as they started to control and dictate the tempo of the game. In the 18th minute, the visitors hard work paid off once again as Jack Guy played a ball into Rose who doubled his total for the day as he slotted the ball past Lister and into the bottom left corner. Boro Rangers domination continued as they won a corner in the 23rd minute after Dan Lister tipped an effort over the bar. The corner was played short leading to a curling cross that was gratefully greeted by the glancing head of Jack Guy to make it 3-0.  

The first shot on target for the Bay came through Storr whose quick feet took the ball away from the defender but unfortunately his shot was sent straight down the middle leading to nothing. In the 30th minute, the visitors proved deadly on set pieces once again as they scored a fourth through Ben Turner. One minute later and the Bay looked like they might reduce the deficit, but Suddick’s cross was too far ahead of Gilchrist to both of their frustrations.  

A lot of credit had to go to the Bay for keeping their heads up and continuing to try and create opportunities. The Bay’s temporary pressure paid dividends in the 41st minute as Suddick had a one on one effort creep over the line after some great build up play from Harvey Neary and Geliher. 

The Bay continued to apply pressure in the remaining minutes of the first half but unfortunately no chances were conjured to the delight of what looked like a suddenly shocked and shaken Boro Rangers defence.  

No real chances were created in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half, meaning Liam McIvor brought on Ritson and Brewis for Day and Storr. Liam’s changes made an instant impact as Gilchrist dribbled round the keeper and set up substitute, Brewis, for an open goal. The Bay fans were making their voices heard, getting right behind the lads, as there was a real feeling that we could somehow get something out of this game. However, in the 66th minute that anticipation was quickly shattered. Jack Guy took the game away from the Bay as he scored from a well worked counter-attack. 

In the 71st minute, Gilchrist had a beautiful chance after some brilliant, free-flowing football but his shot was sent just wide of the post. Minutes later and the visitors increased their advantage once again as Daniel Lofts scored a half volley on the edge of the area.  

No more chances were created towards the end of the game meaning the visitors comfortably walked away with all three points. What proved to be the deciding factor in the game was Boro Rangers clinical nature in front of goal, something the Bay struggled to emulate.  

Despite it obviously being a frustrating day at the office, the Bay should be proud of the fact that they continued to play their attractive style of football, create quite a few chances, and keep the fans entertained right till the end which would have been unimaginable after 30 minutes.  

Next week is our last home game of the season as we take on high flying West Auckland. If you can, come along and support the lads! Also, our last game of the season has been re-scheduled to the 30th April, away at Benfield, so if you can also make the short journey to support the lads that would be much appreciated. HOWAY THE BAY!!! 

WHITLEY BAY: Lister, Cartwright, Day (Ritson 61mins), F.Neary, Almond, Lowery, Storr (Brewis 61mins), H.Neary, Suddick(Law 80mins), Gilchrist, Geliher 

Caution: Lowery 

Attendance: 315 

Referee: Charlie Ford 

Scroll to top

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy